Chocolate Zucchini Cake With Natural Yeast
Chocolate Zucchini Fermented Cake
This amazing chocolate cake took a healthier twist by fermenting the flour and the chocolate. Natural yeast helps make gluten more digestible. I’m sure there are even better ways to make it healthier. You can add more or less zucchini. You could also sub in applesauce for some of the oil.
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 1⁄2 cup Natural yeast starter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄4 cup fresh finely ground wheat flour can be half wheat and half white flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup honey raw
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar or more depending on sweetness
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter softened or melted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
- Put your natural yeast starter in a bowel with a lid. Add the water, flour, cocoa, honey, sugar, olive oil, and butter. Mix together. Put lid on bowl and set aside for 10 to 12 hours. More fermentation makes a stronger flavor and less fermentation is a less sour taste.
- After your cake is done fermenting you will now finish adding ingredients and bake your cake. I like to start this early in the morning and then bake it with dinner. You then get to eat nice warm cake that doesn’t need frosting.
- Now preheat oven to 325 degrees after your batter has been fermenting.
- Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. You don’t need to dust with flour, just cover with butter or oil. It may not dump out of the pan to place on a separate platter.
- Beat your eggs and add them to the batter. Add your vanilla, and half the zucchini and mix in. Add the buttermilk and mix. Add your salt and baking soda and mix well. Add the remaining zucchini.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan. Add the chocolate chips all over the top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50 minutes. Remove when a tooth pick is nearly clean.
- It is wonderful served warm.
Leave A Comment